Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Holli Anderson...Author, My Next POLAIK



There's a theme that's I've noticed as a relatively new author venturing forth into the sometimes scary world of "putting yourself out there as a writer."

I've notice how incredibly nice many of the authors are, especially to us newbies. Since I was so new, I had not attended a lot of conventions so when I met someone and I saw them again a few months later at another function, it surprised me that they remembered me, and some even remembered my name (perhaps the name tag had something to do with that...). But you can tell when someone remembers you. And they do. And it feels great.

I'd like to think that maybe this was because of my magnetic personality, but I don't think it's that. I think it's because when you write something for others to not only read, but fork out their hard-earned cash to acquire, you are extremely vulnerable and that trust between yourself and your readers is real. It's something we share--just as all actors understand the pressure of an audition or all cops feel about fellow cops. It's a brotherhood and sisterhood that binds us.


So, what does all this have to do with Holli Anderson, my next POLAIK (Profile Of Local Authors/Artists I Know)? That's a fair question. The first time I met Holli she sat with others at her publisher's table (Curiosity Quills) at the first ever Salt Lake Comic Con (I apologize if it was the second Salt Lake Comic Con where I met her...). What I do remember was when we met again, it was like talking to someone I had known for a while. She's always made me feel like that, like she's someone I can easily talk to.

The funny thing about Holli is she is many times surrounded by very strong and colorful personalities when she attends these conventions. I've written about some of them in previous POLAIK blog posts. She's also the only female member of the Space Balrogs performing group, and I think she's an excellent choice to join these guys. There's a calming presence about her--something that is many times much-needed in both the Space Balrogs and at convention tables in general.

Five Out of the Pit (Five, #2)

I cannot wait to read her books! The reviews for both books in her series are strong. You can access her website: HERE for more information about the books and her appearances. One of the things I've most enjoyed about getting to know these local authors (and, to some degree, artists...) is reading their words and contrasting that from what I know of their personalities. It can be very enlightening. Will Holli's books be calming or will she surprise me? I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment