Tuesday, August 4, 2015

C. S. Lewis's "The Magician's Nephew"...A Book Review

65605*

It's been several years since I first read Lewis' The Magician's Nephew. I remembered that I loved it. So it surprised me that when I wanted a quick read after finishing Ben Mezrich's Once Upon a Time in Russia. That was kind of a heavy book with all the political unrest and corporate disfunction, I just wanted something easy to read so I thought I'd check out any available C. S. Lewis story.

I found The Magician's Nephew and I had forgotten that I had already read it.

I'm glad I checked it out again!

I started writing a fantasy story a few weeks ago and reading this book while doing that has given me a whole new appreciation of C. S. Lewis, someone I already hold in high regard. His Narnia world is seems as real as if we could enter the wardrobe and step right through, but what I love about The Magician's Nephew is the way Lewis explains how it all began. One of the toughest things about writing a fantasy story is how to get it started. In an imaginary world there are so many ways to begin a story. Should you begin a la James Michener and begin at the dawn of time? Or use another way? There are so many choices.

I'm sure most of you have not only heard of The Magician's Nephew, but have read it as well, so there's probably not a lot I can say about this book you don't already know. But I can say that even if you've read it in the past, it's an excellent book to re-read. You can most likely read it in a day or over a couple of evenings.

It's something I highly recommend.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65605.The_Magician_s_Nephew?ac=1

No comments:

Post a Comment