Monday, August 17, 2015

Making The Changes...Acknowledging The New Leaf


A few months ago I thought of an idea for a very cool story, an idea that could lead to more than just a singular novel, but a world in which multiple stories exist. When these moments of creative inspiration come to me I get really excited and depending on the level of excitement, I then take action. Sometimes, when I'm especially stoked about a story, I actually begin writing it.

I started this story and it wasn't flowing. I can usually crank out several thousand words in a couple of days, that is, when my brain knows what I want to write. This story didn't come to me, but I wasn't too worried because of all the potential it held.

But after several weeks I think I've come to the conclusion that I need make some changes, to turn over a new leaf, as it were. I've many times discussed my story with a friend of mine at work. Almost from the start he suggested I should make it a comedy in the vein of Terry Pratchett. Oh, if I only could, I thought. Pratchett's works are legend--the man's a genius. I don't think I could write anything like him. I mean, I sometimes barely understood Pratchett as I was reading his stories.

This morning as I drove to work the idea that I need to start over came to me. And I think I'm going to take my friend's advice. I don't know if I can do it, but I know if I can, it's going to be so much better than I originally thought. When I first started the story I had hoped I could include many humorous elements. Now, it's going to be a major theme and not just an occasional garnish.

That is, of course, if I can pull it off. This one might not work either, but I feel I've got to try. So, here's to taking a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment