Saturday, July 30, 2016

Someone Asked Me What Panels I've Been On...So I Counted Them


Next month another convention rolls into town. Actually, it doesn't really "roll." It's more like a mass of people assemble and the magic happens. Because of my schedule, I didn't think I could attend. So when I found out I could, I e-mailed those in charge of next month's convention and asked if I could attend as a panelist, even though I was late to the party.

She e-mailed me back and she asked me a question.

What panels have you done in the past?


That was a good question. I answered back and gave her an overview. I told her in which conventions I've been fortunate enough to participate. I gave her my educational background as well as some awards I've won through my writing. I wasn't sure if I'd hear back, but I did. This time she asked another good question.

Can you give me some of the specific panels you've been on so we can see how we can use you at our convention?


That made me think. Just how many panels have I been on since I began this little writing adventure? It took some digging, but I went back to 2013. It's one of the advantages of keeping a daily blog since before then. Turns out I've been on over forty panels, forty-one to be more specific. I've also helped out on a panel here and there.

I e-mailed her back with my list. I knew it was probably more than she asked for, but just putting the list together brought back some wonderful memories. I've met some amazing people and developed many lasting friendships. Thanks to all who've been a long for the ride. See you at the next convention!


My Forty Panels (Plus 1...)

Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2016:

Steampunk: Beyond Goggles
Video Game Design Pioneers
Being a Resilient Writer: Not For the Faint of Heart

Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2015:

Harry Potter: Why HP Needed Hermione to Survive Every Time
How to Get Past Writer’s Block
How to Writer Middle Grade/YA to Specific Audiences
Beyond the Deathly Hallows: The Past and Future of Harry Potter
Sometimes it’s Okay to Kill the Good Guy

Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014:

Paranormal Stories: The Case for the Supernatural at Wal-Mart
Brainstorming for Writers and Artists
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Films as Adaptations
Steampunk for the Ages
Downtown Abbey: How a Stuffy British Drama Became One of TV’s Most Addictive Shows
World Building for Dystopian, Utopian, and Apocalyptic Futures: How to Do it Right

Salt Lake Comic Con 2015:

Orphan Black—discussed the hit TV show
Cutting the Cord: Media Options in the 21st Century
Saucy or Gory: Discussion on Writing Sex vs. Violence

Salt Lake Comic Con 2014:

Geek Parenting: Raising the Next Generation of Geeks
Steampunk, Cyberpunk, and Punk Rock
From Graphic Novels to Feature-Length Films
Structuring Life to Support Creativity

Salt Lake Comic Con 2013:

Making a Film On a Shoestring Budget
Managing Your Artistic Career While Working a Full-Time Job
Steampunk: What Is It? Is It Here to Stay?

Life, The Universe, And Everything (LTUE)

LTUE 34, 2016:

Learning the Lingo: Understanding Writing Terms
Science Fiction vs. Science Fantasy

LTUE 33, 2015:

Philip K. Dick as an Example of Adaptation
Everything is Awesome! The genius of the LEGO Movie
Finding Your Muse
Learning From Failure
Publishing With a Small Press

LTUE 32, 2014:

Small Press Publishing
The Screenwriting Process
E-Publishing Short Stories
Writing For Film

Salt City Steamfest, 2014:

Space Balrogs: Choose Your Own Apocalypse

Salt City Steamfest, 2013:

Getting Your Steampunk Writing Published

Conduit/Westercon

Conduit 2015:

Geek Parenting

WesterCon 2014:

Turning Fantasy in Reality: The Art of Adapting Comics and Art to Film & TV
Tag Team Jeopardy & the Avenue of Awesomeness
E-Publishing Short Stories and Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment