Monday, July 11, 2016

"You May Now Kill The Bride"...Directed By Kohl Glass


Because I was asked to be on a Salt Lake Comic Con panel, and I agreed, I met a filmmaker named Kohl Glass. I don't remember much about the panel or what we said, but I was impressed that we had a real live director with us, someone who lives the dream, went through all the hard work (we're many times not willing to do...), and became a film director.

We linked up on social media after that and from time to time I read about a project he's working on. The last time I read something from him, it caught my attention. He said a TV movie he directed was going to air soon and he gave the details. We recorded it when it was on, but only got around to watching it this last weekend. Maybe some of you caught it. It was on the Lifetime Channel and it was titled You May Now Kill the Bride.

Maybe you didn't catch it.


As a general rule, we don't watch that channel. It's not that it's necessarily a bad channel--they produce shows as good as many other channels, and in some cases, butter. But we're not what they might consider their "target audience." And I'm not going to say any more about that.

But, I wanted to support my friend so I watched it. From the title and the promotional poster (and if you're familiar with Lifetime and the movies they have...), you can probably guess what kind of show this was. Good vs. Evil in domestic America. The show had all the ingredients for the genre, people off meds, attempted murder, family secrets, love gone wrong, and even a twist at the end.


I watched the show a little differently. I looked for landmarks. I wondered how the casting was done and if local talent was used. I paid more attention to the camera shots more than the dialogue. Since I don't normal watch these shows, I'm not the most qualified to say if this was above or below par, but I thought the production quality was very good. The story was told in a straight-forward manner. It was effectively told. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet up with Kohl at a future event and talk to him about this project, and find out what he's up to next.

No comments:

Post a Comment