Thursday, November 23, 2017

A Blessed Thanksgiving...


We realized on Tuesday that our family would not be joining my siblings for this year's Thanksgiving feast. 

We were bummed.

But it couldn't be helped. My wife was still under-the-weather, I had a cold, and the kids were showing signs of catching whatever it was I had. The last thing we wanted to do was subject my extended family with their little babies to our illnesses.

Of course, this left us with a dilemma. What were we going to do about Thanksgiving? My wife didn't feel like she could cook--and I couldn't help, so we turned to our kids. We asked them to help out. Not only did they help out, they did it all! The prep, the serving, and the cleanup...everything! The best part was they were so excited to do it.


It was amazing!

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised. Our kids our very mature, willing to help, and--as a bonus for us--terrific cooks. The food was fantastic and we wanted for nothing this year. As my wife and I rested after dinner, we pondered on the day. I told her that today was, basically, her dream Thanksgiving come true. We didn't have to travel, we have all the leftovers to feed us in the coming days, and my wife didn't have to do a dang thing. It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

But seriously, today was special for our family. My wife and I are getting older, with me in my fifties and my wife knocking on the door, if we live long enough the day will come when we will no longer be able to take care of ourselves. And on a warm late November day in 2017, our kids did that for us with smiles on their faces and wonderful food on the table. We are truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment