Saturday, November 11, 2017

Saying "Thanks" On Veterans Day...


I sat home all day--no work to go to, no rehearsals to attend. I did some writing, watched some football, and did the family's laundry.

Before all that, I hung our flag outside.

It was probably the best thing I did all day, even though taking freshly-made pies to the garage refrigerator for tomorrow night's Family Pie Night after my wife asked me to was important, too. I thought about using the picture of the flag as today's "Pic Of The Day," but I decided against it. I should devote more time to the flag, the day, and what the day means to me than just posting a simple picture.

We can thank the relatives who went before us for literally our lives. Because of their decisions we're here. And because of how events turned out, people living today do so in a world where more people are fed, clothed, and sheltered than at any given time in the history of humanity.

What does that have to do with Veterans Day?

I'd like to think we're smart enough to not want to kill each other. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened. Just in the twentieth century alone millions of people died due to the decisions of their governments. And because of brave men and women of our country, things turned out differently than they could have.

We honor (or, at least, discuss...) veterans only a few times a year, and like my single picture of a flag, they deserve more attention than that. They volunteered to die for people they don't even know. There are few things in life that compares with that.

In a world where everyone wants to be famous, they serve wanting nothing but a simple "thank you," and for those whom they serve to treat them with respect. If we could all follow their example.

I benefit from the sacrifices of others. My father and four of his brothers served in WWII. Thankfully, they all survived. And I stayed home all day, watching sports, trying to write, doing laundry, and accessing all the world's information at my fingertips. I exist because of the actions and sacrifices of others. To them I say, thanks. I'll try to be a better person because you and what you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment