Sunday, November 5, 2017

Things Forgotten In Suit Coat Pockets...


Colder weather means more layers of clothing are needed. Everyone knows that--everyone who lives in climates that turn cold, that is. Today I wore a suit to church. Funny the things you find.


In June of 2015, my father's brother Tom passed away. My brother, my sister, and I attended the funeral. I didn't know Tom very well--we didn't have reunions regularly. I don't have a lot of memories of him or his kids. 

It's too bad.


That's how it's been with my father's side of the family. My father had eleven siblings and he was ninth. Thomas was my father's next youngest brother. Of the twelve only one remains, my Uncle Dave. All those people, gone.

Of my dad's brothers and sisters I only really knew a few well. We visited many of them when I was young, but I was so young, I don't remember much. I do remember going up to Uncle Lester's house in Idaho while my dad was alive and for years after. We kept in touch with Uncle Jack's family often. I still correspond via social media with his children, though he and Lova have passed.

The uncle we spend the most time with was Dave and his family. They lived closest. Their kids and us are closest in age, and all of their kids are adopted, just like our family. Dave and his wife Beth are still with us and live close. We don't see them as much as we should. Funny how we get wrapped up in our own immediate families and seem to forget others.


It's too bad.

I'm proud of my dad's family. They endured things I can hardly imagine. They served their country when called upon. They survived world wars, depressions, and loss. They've created a legacy I'm blessed to be a part of. Funny how a piece of paper tucked into a suit coat pocket can make you think about not only your own life, but the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment