Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Joy Of Receiving A New Hat...It's Witchin'!


I like hats the way some women like shoes. I don't mean to sound sexist, but I do know many women--more than an average man--who love shoes, almost to an obsession. Maybe I like hats because for most people--men and women alike--they are used to having something atop their heads, be it a hat, a hood, or hair.

Me...what once was there no longer is.

I do the next best thing--I wear a hat almost everywhere I go.

There are a couple of practical reasons I wear hats. In the winters it keeps rain/snow off my head and helps keep me warm. In the summers it shields my unshielded head from the sun. Those who've experienced sunburns on their scalp know it's extremely unpleasant. A hat protects me from that. And I wear hats in the spring and fall because you just never know.

Earlier this month I was made aware that I won something in Dave Butler's Twitchy Eye drawing. Those of us who posted reviews of his phenomenal book were eligible for the drawing. I won a hat! Today my hat was delivered to my house and the moment I got home, I donned the black and gold chapeau (in keeping with the New Orleans vibe of the book...).


Even though I like hats, I do not have as many hats as some have shoes. I probably have twenty or so hats, most of them being baseball caps. I try to wear hats that will match with whatever I'm wearing. My Witchy Eye Pistols cap is black. Most of what I wear goes with black, so theoretically, I'll be able to wear this particular hat with most of my wardrobe. That's a win-win-win in my book.

Like new shoes, I'll need to break in the hat. It's stiff right now--some might say like Dave's book when you first pick it up. It's a little ridged, unyielding, stubborn. However, like Dave's book, it adjusts, conforms, yields to the shape of my head. For me, Witchy Eye was an exciting yet daunting book. It's a good read--reading it is sort of like eating a Thanksgiving meal--once you're done, you know you've finished something weighty, something substantial.

So thanks Dave for the hat! I'll wear it with pride and all those who see me coming and wonder about the crossed guns will hopefully see me pass and know from whence the pistols came...from a great book written by Dave Butler titled Witchy Eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment