Saturday, November 25, 2017

University Of Utah's 2017 Football Season...Not How I Thought It Would Go

*

Tonight the regular football season for the University of Utah 2017 team comes to an end. As I'm writing this the game is in progress--no score so far. For many, the year's been a disaster. I'm sure those who's job it is to coach and play the game would disagree. Sure, they didn't win as many games as they had hoped. They won some close ones and lost some close ones, too.

This, of course, has nothing to do with my opinion of their season. For me, I was disappointed too, but not so much because of how the team did, but how I allowed myself to think they would do. In short, I made the mistake of listening to all the pre-season hype, reading the on-line stories, following the Utah fans on Twitter, and my biggest mistake by far, listening to sports radio.

That's what did it for me.

You see, those who make their living talking on the airwaves or writing on-line need to draw in the crowds, boost the ratings, get people involved. And few things are as addicting as hearing people "in the know" tell you what you want to hear, that your team will win their division, and possibly beyond. Too bad it didn't happen. It's not their fault either. That honor I claim for myself. I chose to believe the hype. I chose to think the sophomore quarterback who beat out the senior would be the next Scott Mitchell. I allowed myself to believe.

That can cost you. It can hurt when things don't work out.

I know part of being a "true fan" means going all in, lapping up the hype, spitting it out at the critics when the team wins, and liking your wounds when they do not. That was me for so many years. I decided a while back I didn't want to be that guy. It turned me into something I didn't want to be, the bitter fan, the jerk. It's taken me a long time to get where I am now and this last year I found myself slipping, returning to thinking I was somehow a better person than fans of other teams that didn't win. When you consider what's really important, those words sound so hollow.

Because they are.

The Utes are playing the Colorado Buffalos at home. They're up. The winner of this particular game will have a 6-6 record and go to a bowl game. The loser will have a record of 5-7 and will not be bowl-eligible. And regardless of the outcome, my life remains the same. I still have to work Monday morning, and doing a show Monday night. 

I want to enjoy sports, not hate them. I want to appreciate the amazing athletes, the skill, the beauty of the game. Next year, I'm not going to invest so much of my time in hype. I'm going to try and avoid the stories, the tweets, and especially the sports radio experts. 

From what I understand, the University of Utah football team is supposed to be better, stronger, faster next year, and they're supposed to vie for that illusive Pac-12 Championship. At least, that's what I've heard.

* Photo used without permission from Fox Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment