Friday, November 24, 2017

Black Friday...At The Pound


Yesterday my son said he saw a tweet about adopting pets at the Humane Society of Utah. From Black Friday and through the weekend all adoptions would be free. Since I didn't work today and was not going to battle the crowds for block buster deals, I thought I'd drive down to SLC and check things out.


I expected the the animals to be hopping, but I did not expect the place to be so packed that a person could hardly walk around. I ran into a friend who knew the rules. He told me that the line, which was long, was for the people waiting to take dogs for a walk, and that if I wanted to go see the dogs, I could walk through the kennels and check them out.

That's what I did. I first checked out the big dogs--mostly pit bull mixes, and then I checked out the little critters--mostly chihuahua mixes. I believe there were more people looking to adopt dogs than dogs available for adoption. At least, I hope so.


For fun I toured the cat houses. There were far more cats than people looking for cats. Too bad. Hopefully, they'll get adopted by kind people looking for a companion.

We're not necessarily looking to get another pet--we've already got three, but just as we rescued one of our cats, there might be another pet out there who needs us. If not, it won't happen. Still, it's heartwarming to see so many people wanting to rescue animals and find them food, shelter, and love. God bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment