Saturday, August 18, 2018

Doing Shows...It's A Family Thing


When you're cast in a show at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre in Centerville, Utah, it pretty much consumes your life from the start of rehearsals until closing night. That's why when I'm rehearsing a show or doing a show, I tend to blog about it frequently and post a lot of comments and pictures online.

Since this particular theatre opened several years, I've been fortunate enough to be cast in several shows--mostly musicals, but I've also done a couple of straight plays. I've been in shows with children and those without. I used to do the shows with kids so my kids--namely my daughter--could do them with me.

Looks like that's no longer going to be the case.

My daughter's not a kid anymore.

We were both cast in the theatre's latest production of Pirates of Penzance. It's been an absolute blast to do. And my daughter and I aren't the only father-child duo in the cast. There's actually four couples, four fathers, three daughters and a son. Last week we posed for a few pictures. 

I know many of my writer friends wonder why I do so many plays. It kills a lot of time that could be spent writing. A good writer can crank out a 50k--80k in the same time it takes to learn and complete a show's three-month run. That means I could have ten or so novels in my name. Instead I have memories, photos, and several blog posts chronicling the times I've had with me, my friends, and more importantly, my daughter. 

She begins college next week. This may be the last show we do together for a while, maybe ever. That's a sobering thought. But she needs to go forward and begin memories of her own, perhaps with her own kids in the future. I love these pictures. Each couple does what they do for their own reasons. I'm glad I know why I do it. And I'm glad my daughter still wants to do a show with her old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment