Friday, August 24, 2018

So...I Guess I'm Invited To Join A BYU Faculty Intramural Team


Some time ago--maybe even last year--I was tagged in a Facebook photo, a photo I was not in. Obviously someone confused for someone else.

And I think I even untagged myself and let whoever posted the picture know that I was not the Scott, or the Scott Taylor they were looking for. I did this so the correct Scott or Scott Taylor could be identified in the picture.

Turns out, the photo mix-up has morphed into the realm of electronic mail. This week I got an e-mail addressed to me and fourteen others with the simple question:

Who's in for playing another faculty intramural team this fall?

And here I was bummed I missed out on making the BYU faculty intramural team last fall.


There is one connection to me and the list of BYU faculty members. A childhood friend, one of my first best friends, teaches at BYU and is included on the e-mail list. We've corresponded via social media, but not much. He lives south, has his own growing family, and a solid career. I'm sure if we ran into each other, we'd catch up and maybe (maybe...) share some old memories, memories that get older each year, but we're so different. We've lived different lives.

And then you get an e-mail with your name and his name on it. And it did remind me of a time, decades in the past, when both he and I were on the same sports team. He was a good player; I languished in left field (the outfield where statistically the least amount of balls are hit to...). 

If things were different, if I were on the BYU faculty, I'd be eligible to participate in (another...) BYU faculty intramural team this fall. So, to Mikle, David, (the real Scott Taylor, Mike, Michael, Timothy, Frank, Marc, Brian, Stewart, Erik, Robert, Jeff, Larkin, and Daryl, I'm sorry I won't be with you to battle the worthy BYU faculty intramural teams--how I would like to do so. And even though I can't, it's nice that a misrouted e-mail brought back a nice memory.

Play tough, Kerry! Play true! Play for BYU! (faculty...)


No comments:

Post a Comment