Friday, August 10, 2018

Watching A Bike Race Live...Or On TV?



For the past two years, the Tour of Utah has included my hometown of Farmington. And for the past two years, the event's taken place on a Friday and since I have Fridays off, I've been able to drive the 0.3 miles from my house, park the van, and watch the action live.

It's a really cool thing to see.

This year they changed things up a bit. The tour raced through the streets of our town not once, but twice. And they scheduled the riders to race on Thursday, not Friday. If I hadn't telecommuted, I would have missed the big show, but since I was working from home, we tracked the race on the computer. When the riders were about a mile away, we hopped in the van and caught the peloton as they flew by.


An hour or so later, we watched as they group biked into Bountiful and back toward our house. I had taken my break watching them the first time. I could have taken my second break (or worked an extra fifteen minutes...) and watched them live again.

We decided to stay home.


I wondered what I liked better. On the one hand I could continue working, get all my work done as my work week drew to a close. I was home in a climate-controlled environment. On the other hand, when I was watching them I could see the bikes, hear the sound of hundred of wheels roll across the pavement, experience the thrill of competition.

Each has it's pluses and minuses. I guess we'll have to see what we do next year, as long as they race continues to go through our little town.




2 comments:

  1. It was nice you got to see them! I think it would be exciting to see them in person but wow that's nice your job let's you work from home!

    ReplyDelete