Thursday, August 23, 2018

Serenaded At Dinner...


Tonight I arrived at the theatre early. I had picked up a grocery store sandwich and took a seat in the green room. It's been a long week and taking a break before the show revved up sounded nice.

Turns out, I wasn't the only one in the green room.

A young man sat at the piano we use for warming up before shows and played.

And what he played was beautiful.

I thought I recognized him as I came into the room, but when I looked again, I didn't. I thought I recognized the song, but as he played I realized I didn't. And since his continued playing told me he didn't mind me being there, I was okay to listen while I enjoyed my dinner.

In the theatre there's a stage and seats for the audience. There's tech booths and spotlight stations. There's backstage, the construction shop, the ticket office, bathrooms, dressing rooms, costume rooms, practice rooms, and the lobby. There's also a green room with a piano. Tonight there was a performer, and audience, a song...in a word, art.

The song ended and told the young man that I thought the song was wonderful. He said he heard the song, liked it, and learned how to play it. 

I still don't know who it was who played for me while I rested before the show. I don't know the song, either. But before any of the other cast members arrived, instead of entertaining others, I was the one entertained. Yes, magic happens inside a theatre--and it's not always on the main stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment