Thursday, August 30, 2018

It's Time To Stash...The 'Stache


I've done dozens of shows in my life and I've played many different characters. But I've never had to wear a mustache until this latest show. Tonight I donned the facial hair for the last time. 

I've discussed several times on this blog how it is impossible for me to grow facial hair (or if not "impossible," at least not socially acceptable...). Many who can grow facial hair have told me on numerous occasions that I am lucky because I don't have to shave everyday. And now that beards, mustaches, and goatees are all the rage, a lot of men are growing out their hair. I've often wondered what it would be like to grow a beard, mustache, and/or a goatee.

Wearing a mustache in the show is most likely the closest I'll ever get to the real thing.

The first time I ever put on the mustache for the show I was shocked at how uncomfortable it was. The biggest problem I faced was the material the hair was attached to. It was hard and the edged dug into the skin under my nose. It made it hard to smile or do buzz warm-ups. Of course, a natural mustache won't come with this problem.

Another issue was having runaway hairs end up in my mouth as I sang during the show. I imagine a natural mustache does that, too.

I suppose if I were a full-time actor, I'd have the opportunity to wear fake beards, mustaches, goatees, even toupees more often. It might be fun to see how I look with a more natural-looking hairpiece. Maybe it's just me, but I think lots of bald guys who can't grow facial hair think these things.

Tonight I took off the mustache, peeled away the double-sided tape, pinned the 'stache back on the board and said goodbye to something I couldn't grow myself. All in all, even with the issues, it was fun to see me look different. We'll see what the future will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment