Wednesday, August 1, 2018

When A Zero Means So Much...


See that zero? I realize there's several zeros in the picture. There's the row of zeros on the right, but that's not the one that means the most to me. My zero is in the left column, between the 26 and the 27.

That's the one.

That's mine.

That little zero represents weeks and weeks of hard work. It means that when I logged out of the computer today, that's how much work I had left unfinished. Absolute zero.

My work schedule, like many, has its highs and lows, busy times and not-so-busy times. The last couple of months, however, the not-so-busy times haven't been as frequent. It's more like busy times and busier times. It doesn't help that I had to take off almost an entire week last week to deal with non-work related issues.

Mine is the kind of job that requires constant maintenance. It's like a river that doesn't stop. I manage cases and when I'm not there, the cases still come. Of course, there are safeguards built into the system when we get behind or if we take annual/sick leave. Cases can be reassigned, tasks managed by co-workers. It's not an ideal system, but it's pretty good. 

Thanks to my team, I was able to come back to a more manageable workload. Many co-workers took it upon themselves to take work away from me and do it themselves. For that, I'm grateful. But this week I believe it's been me that's worked the issues and tasks.

I have no idea how much work will filter in overnight. I'll find out in a few hours. If given the opportunity, I'd stay ahead the whole time, but that would mean no vacations, no time off, nothing. I made it there today. Now, I just need to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment