Monday, August 6, 2018

To The Person(s) Who Left A Note On My Car...Please Be More Specific!


Saturday night my wife and I went for a drive, something we haven't done for years. My friend was hosting a party at his house complete with a lecture on typography as well as the opportunity to record on an album.

We saw our chance and took it.

The trip down was uneventful--light traffic by Utah County standards and we zipped to his house at the base of "Y" Mountain in good time. After being intellectually edified and laying down a voice track, it was time to depart. As we crossed the street to our car, I spotted a note taped to the driver's side window. Written in blue Sharpie were the words:

Rude! Never Again

I don't get a lot of notes on my car so it was an unusual thing for me. Instantly I thought back at when I could have been rude to the point where someone felt compelled to write not only a possible description of my actions as well as a charge to never do whatever it was I did again.

I wish they had been more specific. I really do.

I thought about the drive down. It's unlikely, if I offended someone so badly, that they would have followed my minivan all the way through Orem, into Provo, passed BYU and the MTC, beyond the Provo LDS Temple to our destination. I would think that had someone followed me, they might have confronted us when we got out of the van.

Then I thought perhaps I had parked in an inappropriate spot. I looked around and that didn't seem likely. I didn't park in front of a driveway or a fire hydrant, or a mailbox (even though it was passed mail-delivery hours...). My friend walked across the street with us and I showed him the note. He was perplexed as to why I would have gotten such a note as well. 

"It might be some kids--we've got a lot of kids around here," he said. I considered that, but sort of dismissed it. Kids nowadays (my age is showing...) seem to lack the gumption to take the time to write a note and tape it to the window of a generic mid-2000s Toyota Sienna minivan.

The worst thing is I hope I didn't offend, or was rude to anyone, and if so, I apologize. Since I don't know what I did, I can't honestly promise to never do it again. I quickly forgot about the note as my wife and I enjoyed the way home. I do know this, the next morning when I left our house, no note was on any of our cars. I guess if I did offend anyone on the way home or during the night, they didn't let me know about it.

2 comments: