Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Mitch Davis's "Christmas Eve" Film...A Sweet Little Movie


I heard about Mitch Davis's Christmas Eve film when it came out. Like most (practically all...) films, we don't see them in the theaters so I'm not sure if this went straight to DVD or had its run in the theaters. I heard of the local connections--I love to see films with local ties. It renews my faith that someone's film dream can become a reality.


I noticed it was on On Demand so I watched it.

I'm glad I did.

It's a great little film.


Years ago bigger budgeted film were made similar to this one, films like Valentine's Day and Love Actually. Christmas Eve is a compilation film telling seven stories. Each story--except for one--takes place in a stopped elevator. The one exception is the story of the man who caused the power to go out, the driver of a van who hits a power box. The beginning of the film shows each group entering an elevator, the van crashes, the power goes out, and we spend the next ninety minutes or so getting to know the people, their fears, their hopes, dreams, loves, pains, and failures. 


Patrick Stewart headlines a good cast, including Jon Heder, Cheryl Hines, Gary Cole, James Roday and other strong actors. The characters are different enough so as to not be boring, but at the same time, interesting enough that we care about them. And, as these films tend to do, each story seems random, but we learn that's not the case, just as life may seem random but we're all connected if we just dig deep enough.


I liked some stories more than others, of course, but there wasn't one I didn't want to advance, to learn more about the people and their situations pre- and post- the elevator experience. It's sweet and tender and funny and serious and whimsical. 


And one of the things I enjoyed the most is that the violin player is an actual violin player. I've seen enough Hallmark movies where they do okay pretending to play, but there's nothing like seeing a person who has practiced thousands upon thousands of hours on an instrument portray an actual player in a scene. Well done, Jenny Oaks Baker!


I know people who won't consider even thinking about Christmas until after the Thanksgiving Day turkey is nothing but a fading memory. Those people--and everyone else--should watch this film. "Christmas Eve" is only the window dressing. It's a story about people, how they interact with those we see and those we don't. If you get a chance, check it out and get lost in their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment