Wednesday, December 18, 2019

It Is A Joy...Watching This Man Play


I didn't see most of the game. I had some work to do, but after that was done, I turned it on.

Things were looking grim for the home team. Orlando had scored fifteen straight points, led by five, with only a few minutes remaining in the game.

Then Donovan Mitchell brought the crowd to its feet with a monster, "highlight film" slam dunk.

From that point on, the Utah Jazz dominated.

It is a joy to watch that man play.

Back in the early 1990s, I actually worked with the Utah Jazz organization. For two years I watched two of the best players to ever play the game, John Stockton and Karl Malone. I don't think I appreciated just how good they were--funny, how you don't realize what you have until it's gone.

The Jazz had some lean years, good players, but they just couldn't get over the hump. The last couple of years, however, the team has won more than it's lost and they're now a playoff-caliber team year after year. In fact, they are no longer considered a push over and can beat any team in the league. One of the reasons for their success is Mr. Mitchell.

There are certain players you can't take your eyes off of. They demand your attention because of what you've seen, because of what you think they're able to do. Donovan is one of those players. I'm not the greatest student of the game, but when he gets the ball, there's energy that flows from him, energy you can feel even though you're no where near the building. It's hypnotic, and oh, so entertaining.

I hope I enjoy watching Mr. Mitchell play for years to come, preferably wearing the purple, yellow, and/or green colors of the Utah Jazz. I know I'm appreciating what I'm seeing now.


*Photos used without permission from the National Basketball Association, the Orlando Magic, or the Utah Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment