Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019...The Year That Was


It's weird how we always look back on the previous 364 day only a few times a year, birthdays, anniversaries, and especially on this night, the last night of the calendar year...

New Years Eve.

For the past twelve months, I've done a couple of things every day. Some of those were, I've written an entry in a personal journal, and yes, I made the mistake of writing 2018 and changing it to 2019 a couple of times. I've written and posted daily posts for fifty-two straight weeks. I've also taken at least one picture each day and posted at least one picture each day for the past year.

Many have had a terrible year. I know the powers that be would like us all to be miserable and they're working overtime to get us to feel that way. We see daily reports of how crappy life is, how awful and degenerate we are, both individually and to each other. In some of those cases, it's true. But, I feel for a majority of us, we treat each other civilly, even better than that. We smile at others, we open doors for each other, and we (mostly...) let people merge into our lane when we drive.

I don't know how history will record and remember the year 2019. Since it's easier to remember and highlight the bad, it'll probably note all the bad things. I hope it includes many of the good things, too. I hope we remember how many people fell in love, how many babies were born, and how families grew. I hope somewhere it's recorded that good things happened, that people treated each other with respect, that some are living better lives today than they lived last year.

I snapped the above picture on New Years Eve, 2018. At that time, we had no idea what the next twelve months would bring. Yet, we faced them anyway. Tomorrow the sun will rise on a new year. I'm sure I'll be writing 2019 in my journal a few more times before 2020 becomes a habit. And I hope, if I'm fortunate enough to be able to blog on New Years Eve, 2020, I'll be able to look back and see the good, even through all the bad.

Happy New Years everyone! I hope it's a great one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment