Wednesday, December 25, 2019

I Told You It Was A Fantastic White Elephant Gift...


Earlier this month I posted a picture of a wrapped present. The caption went something like this--it's for a company Christmas white elephant gift, and it's a great one.

Or something like that. 

The message I waned to convey is that I thought this was a fantastic white elephant gift. 

Last week we went sibling shopping. It's where we take the kids to a large store--usually Walmart--and they separate. They search for an inexpensive gift for each of their siblings. Four kids, three gifts. My son thought it would be fun to go to the cheap DVD bin and find some classic shows as presents. When he looked for a gift for his only sister, he found some Hallmark Christmas videos.

Bingo!

He had her gift.


As he and I walked from the electronics department, we passed the clothing section. I glanced over and saw some flannel shirts on sale. 

Then, it hit--I found my white elephant gift.

I ran back, picked up a cheap Christmas movie DVD and found a flannel shirt. I brought them home and wrapped them up. 

For those who are fans of this particular film genre, there are some "detail choices" familiar in many of the stories. Usually, there's a single, thirty-something girl who leaves her high-power job in a big city to go on vacation and return home to her small town where she finds some sort of crisis only she can take on. In addition, it's in this small town she meets "Mr. Right." He's either an old boyfriend or a new love interest. One thing's for certain--he's a much better match, romantically, than her current boyfriend/fiancee, who always seems to show up in the small town, thus ensuring a conflict of emotion for the main character.


Will she stay with Mr. Good, but not Right, or Mr. Right?

Mr. Good, but not Right wears a suit.

Mr. Right wears flannel.

Usually.

These are not hard and fast rules, but more often than not, this is what happens.

My team at work is comprised mostly of women. Since I work from home, I don't know these ladies very well, so I'm not sure if they understood the flannel reference. The co-worker who did end up with the gift, loved her new shirt, so it was a success.

Even though they may not have gotten the meaning, I thought it was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment