Thursday, December 19, 2019

Ah...The Sounds Of Building


Earlier this week I took a break from work and went outside. That's when I heard it...the sounds of building. I'm not talking about the sound of hammers and air compressors. I'm talking about the sound of...

Rock music.

And boy, did it take me back!

Across our back yard there's a new home rising. It's going to be beautiful and it's going up fast. They should be all moved in this spring. There are other buildings going up all around us, too. There's an excitement that hasn't been in our neighborhood for some time.

In 2002 we started building our house. It was right across the street from where we lived. That meant every night after work and on the weekends, we'd head over and begin working on the house. We didn't build the whole thing, but we did a lot of sweat equity. And while we worked, we had the tunes cranked. Most of the time we had to endure Top 40, because it came from a boom box. This was in the pre-internet steaming services era. It was good old-fashioned picked-up-from-the-airwaves radio.

When I walked outside earlier this week, what did I hear? Renegade, by Styx.

It's been over sixteen years since we moved in, sixteen years of not working every night to the sounds of music. I know why the builders were rocking out the other day. It's the same thing we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment