Thursday, December 5, 2019

A Poster Of Memories...


I found the poster while digging around in the basement looking for Christmas decorations. It is a Christmas decoration, of sorts. It was meant as a promotional poster. It ended up being a memento, complete with signatures and well wishes.

It's a poster for Rodger's Memorial Theatre's production of Scrooge from December, 2000.

And it's amazing.


The theatre passed out these posters for us to place them around town, at our work, at home, basically anywhere people would see them. I had one hanging up in my cubicle and I received more than a few comments about how great it looked. Ebenezer practically jumped off the poster with rage. You, as a viewer, knew the pain of that man.

When the show ended, I took my poster to the theatre and I had the cast members sign it for my son. He was my oldest and he was only five-years old at the time. I thought it would be a cool thing for him to have, maybe frame it and put it up on his wall. I didn't know if he'd ever do another show--turns out, he caught the bug. In the next few years, he did other shows--he was even Chip in the theatre's production of Beauty and the Beast a few years later.


I snapped a picture of the poster and thought it would be a good Pic Of The Day. That's what I did, and I got many comments on the poster on social media. I wonder if any of them saw the words and memories around the edges.

I took out my phone and videoed the poster, including the signatures and thoughts the cast members left for a child. 

The show took place before the advent of social media, before Facebook, before Instagram. In the almost twenty years since those sentiments were written, many have moved away, some have passed away, children grown to adulthood, adults grown older still. In a word, it's been a lifetime since we met on stage and performed a classic story. And for me and my son, a good lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment