Thursday, February 6, 2020

A Right Place...To Write


I think every writer dreams of a couple of things. They dream of seeing their book on a bookstore shelf. They dream of having the title of their book listed on a NYT bestseller list. They dream of receiving a notice from a fan telling them how much they loved their story. And they would love to see the story turned into a major motion picture.

Okay, maybe not every writer dreams of these things, but I can imagine they dream of some of those things. I personally know a few authors who have done so well, they've upgraded their homes, and when they do, they create--as best they can--a perfect place to write. They build these rooms where the muse is always invited and will hopefully, reside in the space full-time.

When we designed and built our home in 2003, I had no aspirations of being a writer. So, I didn't think about having a home office. But the other day, I think I found a good spot to write.


Normally, I do most of my writing in bedroom. It's a good place to write for me, when the cat isn't climbing on my computer. Of course, the cat could climb on my computer wherever I ended up writing. The room is good, but there could be better locations. The place I found was our loft.

The loft in our house was built as a place to homeschool our kids. For six years, before we moved in, we lived in a basement apartment. One thing we wanted when we built our house was a homeschool room with windows. We definitely got that.

That morning was the only morning I wrote up there. I'd like to think I'll do it again someday. And who knows, if I ever see my book on a bookstore shelf, or see the title on the NYT bestseller list, or see my story be made into a movie, maybe I'll build that perfect writing space. I'd like to think it would be in a loft.

No comments:

Post a Comment