Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Checking Out The XFL...


Almost one year ago--to the day--I wrote a blog about a new American football league. The AAF, the Alliance for American Football League began playing in several cities, Salt Lake City being one of them. It had coaches, reporters, TV rights, and even some fans.

Two months later I wrote another blog post...about the end of the AAF.

Sad.


New year, new league...well, kind of new. We've seen the XFL before. Back in 2001 the XFL had one season. You can say that's not very long (and it isn't...), but it lasted longer than the AAF.

So, how will the XFL version 2.0 do?

Good question.

I watched a majority of both games on Saturday (they broadcast two games on Saturday and two on Sunday...). I didn't watch as much on Sunday, not because I was disinterested, but because I was doing other things. The games I did see impressed me. Sure, it's not the quality of the NFL, but let's just say, they didn't embarrass themselves too badly. They played with heart. You could tell these were guys wanting to keep doing the thing they loved, even after someone told them they were done.  Of course, I'm not an expert of the quality of a football team, but I've watched my share of games over the past fifty-four years. 


I don't know if I'll be a die-hard fan. Last year, we had a local team, the Salt Lake Stallions. This year, no local team...same as the NFL.

If the new XFL survives past its inaugural season and we see professional football after the Superbowl in 2021, the new XFL will have outlived its two predecessors. I hope it does. But just like in 2001 and 2019, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment