Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Forgetting The Simplest Things...


I snapped a picture the other day of a garage door that had yet to be closed. Of course, we closed it, but sometimes I forget that it's open. It's so frustrating because as I park the card in the garage, I lock the van--I never forget to lock the car.

Then, I go upstairs and that mental note of closing the garage door that only seconds before was front-and-center, it's gone--vanished.

I wonder if this is just the way things are at my house, or am I forgetting because I'm getting old? 

It's so easy to tell people--either mentally our out loud--that people should just accept getting old, embrace it, live your life. You'll only be disappointed by spending tons of money to try and reclaim lost youth. But, when you're the one getting older, you wonder if you will change your mind. The first time I had a decision to make concerning trying to stay young happened in my early twenties.

I was losing my hair.

I could have looked into transplants, toupees, or Rogaine, a newly developed product at the time, to try and look young. Each option, to me, had little upside considering the downside--doesn't look good and costs a ton of money. I didn't have funds to try any of these options at the time, nor would I try them now. I just accepted it and so far, things are working out.

But, forgetting things...well, that's a little more serious than losing some hair. In all honesty, forgetting to close the garage door could be because I'm excited to be home. The dog runs up and you just have to pet him and play with him a little. I also get to see people I haven't seen in a while. So, it may not be because I'm getting old. Closing the garage door...it seems such a simple thing to remember, but sometimes, it's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment