Saturday, February 22, 2020

Being Social...


We decided decades ago how we wished to educate our kids. We chose homeschooling. It's not for everyone, but it was for us. Three of our children had graduated and moved on to bigger things. We have one student left in our school.

What does that have to do with going to a wedding reception last night?

Well, homeschoolers don't do everything alone. Many set up co-ops where several families of homeschoolers get together once a week (some more often, some less...) and have group classes and group activities. We were part of a northern Davis County group, where most of the families lived far from us. We were the most southern members of the group. Sure, it required we drive a little bit, but it was only once a week.

And now, all those kids with whom we had group classes are getting married. Last night, my wife and I attended yet another wedding reception, and even though the kids enjoy hanging out and catching up with their friends, it's an opportunity for the parents to do the same. 

Our co-op was set up like many. The parents are responsible to teach and help run the co-op. My wife has many friends, many good friends from those years we participated, and now that we're no longer part of the co-op, it seems the only time we get to see each other is at wedding receptions.

Last night, we found out I have a connection to both the bride and groom. The bride's father and I grew up together in Farmington, he being a few years older than me. It was fun for me to catch up a little with him.

My wife and I aren't the social butterflies that many of our friends are. For several reasons, we don't go out much, and even when my wife and I have date night, we're almost always ordering take-out and eating at home. It suits us. Last night, we had the chance to see good friends we haven't seen for a long time, and may not see again...

Until the next wedding reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment