Saturday, February 8, 2020

The Secret To Eternal Happiness...Or One Of Them, Anyway


I saw this meme posted on Facebook earlier today. Don't ask me who posted it because, as you know, when you see something on Facebook and you leave the site, it's impossible to find it again.

It's funny.

It's profound.

It's pretty much true.

One thing I'd love to pass along to my kids is the fact that being happy is mostly an exercise in perception and we decide what that perception will be. Life can be great or crappy depending on how you look at things. The adage of "Count Your Blessings" has real power.

And it's so easy to get into arguments nowadays. In the past, for the most part, you actually had to be in the same room when you argued. Now, you can make a fool of yourself in front of the whole world. And more and more of us are doing just that.

There's a scripture in Proverbs that talks about this:

A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger (Proverbs 15:1)

We hear all the time about our society. We blame governments, political parties, religions, schools, and basically everyone and everything for our lack of civility. Do we ever stop and wonder how much we ourselves contribute to this downturn? Do we argue with fools? Do we stir up anger? Do we put the blame on others?

I know I don't follow my own advice every time. I fail to see the positives. I choose the perception that doesn't highlight positivity. I don't always count my blessings. But, there's one thing I try to never do, and that's argue with people, online or otherwise. It's a philosophy that's treated me well these many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment