Monday, February 24, 2020

Epic Showdown In L..A....Utes Win!


I didn't watch a lot of sports on TV yesterday. Sure, there was pro sports, football, basketball, and college games on, but I think my need for naps overrode my need to watch sports. I do know, had I wanted to follow my favorite university sports teams, there were many contests I could have checked out.

And they Utes won them all.

I could have watched U of U tennis, U of U skiing, U of U baseball, U of U men's basketball, U of U women's basketball, and U of U women's gymnastics. Utah swept them all.


Sure, many of those games would have been fun to watch, but the one I did end up watching (on re-broadcast today...) was the University of Utah women's gymnastics team take on the UCLA women's gymnastics team in Los Angeles. I'm sure the other games were great, but can't imagine those other games being as exciting, as nerve-wracking, as close, and as amazing as the gymnastics meet.

I snapped a couple of screenshots as the final routine ended and the totals were announced. I doubt many UCLA gymnasts, coaches, or fans thought if their team scored over 198 at home, they'd lose, but that's what happened. The broadcast did a good job capturing the excitement in the building. I'll bet it was crazy to be there.

I grew up with the Red Rocks of Utah being the best women's university gymnastics team in the country. In 20 years, they won 10 national championships. It's been a while since they've stood atop the podium. Who knows...maybe this is the year. And if so, the place will go crazy again. Well done, Utah. Go Utes!

No comments:

Post a Comment