Monday, February 3, 2020

Sitting In On A Table Read...Love The Creative Process


Years ago, a local film director asked if I wanted to sit in on a table read for an upcoming feature film he was going to direct. A few days before the event, I got sick and when the time came, I decided not to go, even though I most likely could have. I've often wondered what that experience would be like. Whenever I hear of others who got to participate in a table read, I've always felt bad that I'd missed out.

Last week, a call went out for another table read, different filmmakers this time. When I saw the announcement I immediately volunteered to be part of it. The reading was set up so the creators of the story to hear their story read aloud. As a writer, I try and read aloud what I've written as much as I can. There's so much you can pick up from hearing a story read. And, as a writer, I know that you get so familiar with the story, you miss things. Having others read your story helps to find problems and issues you'd normally miss.

We met in Draper. I can count the times on one hand I've ever been to the city. I've driven by it many many times, but not the city itself. There were a half a dozen of us readers. We all read multiple parts. It took several hours. Your standard feature film screenplay is between 100 to 120 pages long and this one fit in exactly that length.

The others around the table were like me, people with varying degrees of performing experience. One character in the story had a strong Scottish accent. I was chosen to read that part--I didn't even try the accent.

The script was funny, tender, brutal (the story, not the way it was written...), and it had complex characters with strong motivations and understandable actions. Parts of the ending took me by surprise as well. 

I am a part of a couple of writing groups. I love being part of the creative process, even though I didn't write this particular story. The film played out in my mind as we read. It's a good story, a strong story. I have no idea if this particular film will get made. I hope it does. I know the filmmakers will do an excellent job.

The first time I was asked to be part of a table read for a film, I turned it down. I didn't this time and I'm glad I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment