Saturday, October 21, 2023

Center Of Attention...


 We gathered as a family earlier today for food, conversation, a chance to catch up. But when one group entered the house, a definite change raced throughout the room...

The grandbaby had arrived.

And just like that, he became the center of attention.

I, of course, participated in showering attention on the little guy. Smiles all around, grown adults making baby noises, and every camera phone sprang to life. 

We live in such an amazing time. When I was my grandson's age (almost 58 years ago...), some pictures of my mug were taken. My parents sprang for a few family photo sessions and I'm glad they did. It's been wonderful to see how I looked as an infant and compare to how my children--and now grandchild--look. There's something about peering into the eyes of a descendant that's special.

Children born in the digital age will have more than a few pictures of themselves when they reach adulthood...they'll have thousands or tens of thousands. We'll know who they looked every week, every day. I wonder how that will change them...will it be for the better, or the worse?

The center of attention will continue, and I'm glad it will. Children should feel they're a miracle, for indeed, they are. And as long as we here and they're here, we're going to keep making them the center of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment