Monday, October 23, 2023

Finished A Home Project...It Makes Things Better


 Funny, how completing a simple home project can improve things.

The way I see it, there are two types of people in this world...those who tackle home projects the moment they're discovered, and those who put things off until later.

Okay, maybe there's another type of people out there...those who know about the home projects and never get to them. Of the three, I'm more like the one in the middle. I acknowledge the need to finish home projects, but I usually put them off.

And, sometimes--with a little help and encouragement--I actually finish one of those projects.

Last week, with the help and encouragement of my wife and mom-in-law, the three of us gathered and tackled the much-needed job. The door frame really needed paint. We bought the paint in the morning. We gathered early before the sun hit the back of the house and began. We put on a primer coat, and after it dried, applied the first coat of black paint. The next day we applied the second coat and...

Done.

The frame needing painting for months. Did I take action before? Nope. I thought, I'll get to it one day. What surprises me, now that the project is over, is how there was a time when painting a door frame would have been the simplest job in the world. When my wife and I worked on our first home, we finished so many projects. We painted, we ran wires, we put in floors...so many things.

I guess not doing home projects on a daily basis for twenty years sort of softens a person, or at least, has softened me.

Tonight, I glanced at the door as I played fetch with the puppy. Seeing a finished project made me feel good. It made me feel like I used to when we completed projects that needed doing. It also gave me confidence of sorts, confidence that we can still do things...

Things that need doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment