Thursday, October 19, 2023

Yet...I Resisted


 I watched as several co-worker prepared the room for our office party. Halloween decorations hung on the walls, but the biggest change came when box after box of sugary treats burdened tables in the corner. Doughnuts, brownies, candy bars, Halloween snacks...they just kept coming.

And yet, I did not partake.

It's a miracle.

What's funny (for me...) is that I hardly had any breakfast before I reached the party room. I should have jumped at the table, loading anything and everything on a plate and gone back for more once it was empty--especially, the Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They looked heavenly. 

But, something happened, something that doesn't happen. I looked at all that delicious food and the urge I get to eat as many treats as possible was gone.

I must be getting old.

As a kid, this time of year was the best time of year. Autumn is still my favorite season, but not for the same reasons. When I was younger and could eat candy all day long, I looked forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving, then Christmas...all good food holidays. Plus, everyone knows Halloween candy is not available on Halloween day only. When I worked in an office, I knew exactly who had candy at their desks and when it was replenished. When I needed a "pick-me-up" I'd take a walk around the office and take a candy or two.

The office party was a huge success. Most of the table-full of treats went uneaten, so we all, myself included, had to pack up bags of goodies to take home. I have no idea how long it's going to last me. Maybe I should give it away at Halloween.

Yes, I was surprised not to have jumped right in and gobbled up the goodies. Not sure what changed in me...

But I hope it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment