Monday, October 9, 2023

Actually...It's NOT A Sword


 Last summer, we checked out a yard sale in the community next to ours. We check out a lot of yard/garage sales in the summer. It's fun and relatively (if we can control ourselves...) inexpensive entertainment. On this particular morning, we happened upon an estate sale, and they really meant "estate." The parents had passed and the children were selling everything, the house, everything inside the house, everything in the bards, the garages, the fields. They had so much stuff for sale. 

We did not buy the 50s school bus or the old accordion, or any of the cars/motorcycles/tractors or the thousands of other things packed on to that lot. We did, however, buy something that's gotten me a lot of attention.

A walking cane.

When I first saw it, I thought when the time comes when I need a cane, it would be a good one to have. I chose the one with the brass horse heard and brought it home. 

A few months later as I prepared for my autumn side gig, I remembered the cane. I thought it might be a good addition to my character. The show's creator was at the first rehearsal. I brought the cane and asked him if he thought (as I did...) the cane would be a good prop for me to use. 

He loved it.

It's in the show.

The show requires me to interact with people, both people seeing the show and those asking about the show. I have my cane with me as I converse with them. An interesting question has emerged since we began our season...

Is there a sword in that cane?

Unfortunately, no.

It's not a sword cane...it's not a gun cane. It's just a cane. When I first spotted it at the estate sale among about ten other canes, I picked it up and I, too wondered it there was a sword concealed inside the cane. If so, it would be cool, but at the same time, if it was a weapon, there's no way I could use it for the show.

Win some, lose some, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment