Tuesday, October 31, 2023

This Halloween Season...I'm Sad To See It Go


 The candles are out, the jack-o-lanterns are off the porch, the candy bowl empty.

The Halloween season comes to an end.

I'm sad to see it go.

On Sunday we closed my autumn gig, our sixth year...the best show we've ever done. We said our good-byes, took some selfies, cleared out our stuff, and drove away. It'll seem weird not putting on the three-piece suit and introducing everyone to Professor Clarence Black. They'll just have to wait ten months for the good professor to hold court again.

This year, we didn't decorate the house, didn't have our traditional day of Halloween party with homemade doughnuts and family gathering. The party was Saturday. Tonight, we set up the Candy Cannon (for some, a neighborhood favorite...) and blasted the kids with candy. The waining moon rose in the east and the temperature dropped, we cleaned up the cannon, put everything away, and turned off the porch lights.

Another Halloween over.

Some traditions were missed, others observed, like carving a pumpkin to honor my mom on her birthday. Thankfully, because of my autumn gig, I didn't have to make a special trip to deliver the pumpkin or to pick it up. Same town.

Tomorrow November arrives--actually, for us it's only a few hours away. I love November, but it's no October. Even though I finally get to slow down in November, there's something about October and Halloween that is special. It's like no other time of the year.

I'll miss this Halloween season, for some of the best reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment