Sunday, October 15, 2023

Give Thanks...Family Gatherings


 Family get-togethers.

They're special.

And they can't go on forever.

Okay, that's not true. Family gatherings can go on forever, as long as there's families, that is.

My wife has orchestrated family get-togethers for the past several months. And I think I'll be forever grateful for them, and for her. We've been luckily enough to have our children close, at least, for this past summer and fall. Since spring we've welcomed first, a son-in-law, then a grandson. 

Our family's growing. Growing means change...whether you want it to or not.

Back when my mother was alive, my siblings and our families used to gather at my mom's house, the house our dad started building, but passed away before he could finish it. We didn't realize it at the time, but those weekends when we would sit around the same table and talk and share stories was fleeting...it wouldn't...it couldn't...last forever.

And it didn't.

Now, my mom's gone. The our familial house is sold and changed. And our baby sister passed away. After my mom's passing, we tried having family gatherings. We kept that up--once a month--for several months, but then life happened. Life always happens.

Now, it's our family that's changing and because of these get-togethers, we're creating a tradition. 

Like I said, family gatherings can go on forever, as long as there's families...

They'll go on, just with other people.

Time to enjoy them while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment