Thursday, October 26, 2023

Man...I Miss Singing With These Guys


 Five years ago, two friends and I posed for a photo...a selfie is what the kids call it these days. We met at work, at my autumn gig, October 26, 2018.

The three of us used to spend time together, October 1989. It wasn't at work, but at college, not at an amusement park, but at a singing class.

Those were some of the best times of my life.

Thanks to a social media site that has a better memory than I do, I was reminded this photo exists. It's interesting...five years doesn't seem so long anymore, but a lot has happened in those five years. My family moved north, and both my friends joined a choir--not just any choir...

They joined THE choir...

The world-famous Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square.

If you watch the church's General Conference, or the weekly choir broadcasts, you'll spot them both, if you look long enough. I'm usually not jealous of my friends, but I was when I watched conference earlier this month

It got me thinking...why was I jealous? Was it because they were both in a choir that I can't join? I'm so close to the "kick-out age," it would't even be worth trying. No...after some thought and reflection, I was jealous to not be singing with my friends. I know we can't turn back time, and I can't re-live those college days, but singing with several members of the University of Utah A'cappella Choir decades later would be a close second. It would sound, well...in a word, heavenly.

I'm no longer jealous...okay, that's not entirely true. I still would love to be singing with my friends (and with so many others who are not in the choir...), but I'm fine now. I am glad the two--and others--are finding joy in their endeavors. I'm glad they made it in (it's not an easy thing to do...) and I hope they're having as much fun as we used to those many years ago. 

But I'll bet they're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment