Friday, October 20, 2023

End Of Shift...


 Last night, the last show in the books, I made my way to my car across pavement, gravel, dirt, grass, and cow pies. Having arrived late, all the good (i.e. close...) parking spots were taken, so I parked north, among the other late-arrivers. 

It's our space...we claim it.

I loaded up the car, walked around to the driver's seat and looked south. An amusement park really shines at night.

I resumed working for this particular amusement park in 2015. Previously, I worked her during high school and during college. It paid for many a restaurant dinner, and thousands of tanks of gas. Now, it pays for other things, for the family and not just for me.

Times do change.

But, that feeling of finishing a shift, somehow, that stays the same.

You can count on one hand the number of shifts remaining in the season. We see the finishing line...just beyond the tips of our fingers. Soon, the last ride will stop, the last light will fade into the night, and the park--the park that people see--will hibernate for several months. 

The show, in which I am fortunate enough to work, is special. It's terrifying, exhilarating, bust-your-gut fun. Soon too, will the door close for the last time this season, the props put away to be picked up next autumn.

End of shift...a wonderful feeling after a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment