Thursday, March 17, 2022

Farvel Herr Jensen...Du Vil Blive Savnet


 My friend's father passed away. I think I knew Alan for a few weeks/months before I found out his mother was a native Dane and his father served a LDS mission to Denmark. Of course, I was drawn to the couple immediately and in college found many excuses to go to my friend's house and hang out with my friend his parents.

Now, they're both gone.

Because of life, theirs and ours, I've barely seen my friend in the past twenty or so years. As we get older, we trade past relationships for current ones, accepting responsibilities of family for good times with friends. I wouldn't give up the past couple of decades spending time mostly with my family for anything, but time  machines don't exist...we're only given so much time and how we chose to spend that time not only defines us, but determines who we become.

The last time my wife and I saw my friend and his family was ten years ago...almost to the day...when we attended my friend's mother's viewing. Bittersweet. We caught up, bemoaning the reason for getting together. Then, my wife and I drove home, leaving them to their new reality, us to ours.

Since that time, my wife lost her father. My parents were already passed. It's a strange sensation when you realize both your parents are gone. There's no longer one left to help remember a fading memory or help with a project or just to shoot the bull. There's a finality when both your mother and your father have passed. It's hard to explain, but once it happens, you understand. Nothing will ever be the same.

Herr Jensen var en fantastisk person. Han var talentfuld, venlig, altid med et smil. Han overvåget LDS templet i Danmark, blandt mange andre ting. Han også opdraget en talentfuld og venlig søn, en person jeg savner at være med som vi en gang gjordt. 

Yes, Alan's dad will be missed. Indtil vi mødes igen.

No comments:

Post a Comment