Saturday, March 12, 2022

How Can Ten Years Go By So Fast...?


 Got another "Memories" on social media today. It's strange that they're selecting things I once posted that are now more than a decade old.

How can ten years go by so fast?

I suppose that's a sign of getting older. It still blows my mind that it was only ten years after my father passed away, I graduated from high school. I lived a whole lifetime in those ten years. From eight to eighteen, it was way more than just a decade of time. 

Ten years ago, we lived in Farmington, Utah. And on March 11, 2012, our family visited the Farmington City Library where my daughter sat on the floor and picked out a book. While she was checking it out, I snapped a picture--probably used a Kodak digital camera which I took with me everywhere back then.

It's ten years later. My daughter is driving home from seeing a play in which she helped choreograph. She's earned one degree. She's a young woman making decisions that will affect the rest of her life. The building in which I took the photo is gone...bulldozed and is now a parking lot. I wonder if the book still exists. We'll probably never know what book it was so there's no way to know if it's still part of the Davis County Library system.

We now live two counties over in a place I never imagined myself living. We no longer "check out" books at the library...we download them and read them on a screen. No more sitting on the floor, no more discovering the wonder of touching a physical object that someone wrote and someone else published.

A decade has passed since that winter evening. So much has changed. I can't believe it's flown by so fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment