Sunday, March 6, 2022

When A Friend You've Known For Decades Passes Away...Shauna Will Be Missed


 The social medial world has many sides. On the one hand, we can send and receive messages allowing us to keep in touch with thousands--even millions of people instantaneously. We can even do live video conferencing and chats keeping us informed and "up to speed."

On the other hand, with so many people so accessible, people can sort of drift away. There's no way you can keep all those people always in your life. So, in a way, there are more people, and theoretically, they should be closer, but they're not.

A friend of mine passed away in December of last year. I found out Friday. I've known Shauna for probably forty years. She married into a family I've known even longer, a family that I've been associated with still, a family that has played an important part of my life.

Around 1990 I heard that Shauna and her husband were moving out of the country for her husband's job. She wondered if I wanted to find a few roommates and rent out her home in the Sunnyside area of Salt Lake. It was a couple of blocks from the University of Utah. I loved living there. It became a place for my friends and fraternity brothers to hang out. It was where I was living when I met my wife. Shauna and her husband didn't have to rent out there house, but I'm glad they did.

Years later, with her living half a world away, she wanted to buy my books. That's the ultimate compliment of any writer to have someone request a book they've written. Shauna followed me on social media and commented on many of my photos and blog posts.

Shauna lived in Egypt when my wife and I got married. For a wedding gift, she gave us a personalized plaque. On the plaque is our name in English, Egyptian, and Arabic (at least, I think those are the languages...). We put it up in the two houses we've called home. 

I found out she's been gone for months. Even though I haven't seen her in person for many many years, it still hit hard. I'll miss her comments, her quirky sense of humor, her funny stories. Like I said earlier, relationships continued via social media have a good side. I'm glad I kept in touch, even though it was infrequent. She'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment