Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Shrine Of The Unknown...


 Because I live in Utah, the city in which I live is laid out in a grid. The streets run north/south, east/west. Because of this logical, yet boring system there are several ways for us to reach our house from the city center.. There's one street that I usually take because it's basically a business route, devoid of residential homes and side streets. 

You could say it's a lonely road.

We've lived in this community for a year and a half and every time I take that lonely road, I drive past a small shrine at the side of the road. Last week I decided to stop and snap a few pictures. I don't know what I was expecting to see when I stopped, but I drove away knowing as much about the memorial as I did before I stopped.

I'm assuming it's a spot where someone died. I remember seeing a ton of these crosses on the side of the roads in Montana. I'll see them occasionally at other places, too, but Montana had a lot of them. I thought when I pulled up to the one close to our home it might have a name or a date, or at the very least a "R.I.P." 

I saw nothing.

Nothing except some fake flowers and a beer can (I didn't even look to see if the can was opened--I'm hoping it was empty...). 

Every time I drove by the shrine, I always wondered who it was for. Now, after stopping and checking it out, I'll still wonder who it is honoring as I choose to take the lonely road home.

No comments:

Post a Comment