Monday, March 14, 2022

It's All About...Perspective


 Last week my wife and I did a little shopping. We stopped at a WinCo store in the county to the east. The store is new, only open a few months. As far as shopping goes, I like the store...it's clean, the employees are friendly, and they have a lot of stuff crammed into that store, much like many other supermarkets.

But, not all stores have full shelves.

It's all about perspective.

We're in a culture war, a fight for opinions. People skim social media for photos/videos/quotes that support their opinions. Take, for example, the picture I posted the other day of the WinCo aisle. If I wanted, I could have used the picture to say that everyone crying about empty shelves are wrong. Why are they wrong? Because I have a photo of a Logan, Utah grocery store with shelves full of food. Proof! There's no supply chain problem...and here's my proof.

If you know me, you know I'm no expert on supply chain issues--very few are. I never said my photo proves a point of view, and if I did, my opinion should not hold much weight. Even with this photo overflowing with edible opulence, I can believe that the country is in trouble, even if I can't see it.

I posted the picture because I liked the perspective. You can see the vanishing point in effect. I liked that there's one shopper at the end of the aisle giving the photo character. The picture, to me, is America. Also, in the caption I was able to use the word "opulence" and credit one of my favorite movie quotes (thanks, Matt, for picking up on that...). My picture was not to persuade, but to entertain. Funny how a picture can do many things...

It's all about perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment