Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Topaz


I've only entered a couple of writing competitions in my life. And I've been very fortunate. The second time I entered a screenplay writing competition I won. I entered a few more times after that and picked up an honorable mention. I entered a writing competition in college and won, and I think I entered another one--can't really remember what I entered only that I did--and obviously I didn't win that one...

A month ago I entered a nationwide writing contest, the winners will be announced at some point in the future. As with other events in my life (writing contests, job interviews, ward raffles, powerball lotteries if I played, etc.) I always think I should think positively about my chances. It is as if I think I'll get the job, win the contest, enjoy whatever item is being raffled, then I will. But if I believe I won't get those things, I won't. Of course, keeping a positive attitude can be a double-edged sword. It can make rejection that much tougher.

Today I sent in a short story I wrote yesterday to a group assembling stories and poetry for an anthology to help the victims of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. You can find information about the project here. It's for a great cause (even if they don't chose my entry...)

So I sent in my story. And I'm learning rather quickly that a writer really craves is feedback. I'm not sure if I'm going to get any feedback on this particular story. If they don't pick it, I'll put it in a future blog. Oh, and if I win the nationwide competition, I'll definitely let you know. ;)


You might think this is a picture of my blog visit stats, but to me it looks like the Dubai skyline...

No comments:

Post a Comment