Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Court of Honor...

A Court of Honor

The scouts gather in an empty church, leaders prep the room, the slideshow primed to relive memories of the past several months—something to allow the scouts to remember the good/bad times and something to show the parents what their boys have been doing on those Tuesday nights and weekend camp outs.

It’s been years since I was a scoutmaster. Our current-called leader replaced me and he's done a wonderful job with many kids, including my eldest in the past and also now with my second.

Flag ceremony, speeches, delivery of earned patches and advancements, opening and closing prayers, and the inevitable consuming of the refreshments. Slightly embarrassed parents accompany their sons while accomplishments are highlighted and acknowledged.

We leave packing pieces of paper and small stitched patches of colored cloth that we didn't have when we first arrived. The scout program continues on allowing young men to do their best, to God and their country and we keep attending courts of honor.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I've been to two, and cried both times, and none of my own kids were even involved in the ceremonies, haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to be part of them all the time, since Steve is in scouting and it is fun! It makes me imagine my imaginary sons someday!

    ReplyDelete