Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Little Peach Tree That Could (So Far...)


Our Little Peach Tree

Not last spring but the spring before our eldest son had a pretty cruddy job at a nursery. It was not the particular nursery that made it cruddy--it was just the nature of that type of job. He worked in transitional weather where it rained a lot.


One day I came home and saw a little scrawny peach tree in a planter bucket. Apparently, the nursery didn't want it and they offered it to my son. He must have agreed to take it home because home it was.. It was only about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall and had basically one branch sticking out the side. Think of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but peach...


I decided to plant it and I found one of the few remaining spots on the edge of our property where a peach tree could go. I dug the hole, put the tree in, filled the whole with dirt, gave it a little water and hoped for the best.


After a couple of months I noticed the tree's singular branch was drooping and it looked like it might break off. I wanted to save my little tree so I stuck a pole in the ground and tied the branch to it for support. It held up the branch and I didn't think much of it. I checked the branch a few months later and noticed a large bulge where the tree had healed.


This spring we noticed three little peaches on the tree--our first crop. I hope it's the first of many peach crops for my little family to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment