Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Moon And My Mountain...


A few friends posted notes about last night's moon. Of course, the media chimed in trying to give their readers the impression that they have never seen such a moon before as the moon that awaited us all. I went outside and took a look.

A ghostly glow emanated from behind the mountain's crest and I knew that in a matter of moments I too could join the world's masses and experience this lunar event. I grabbed my camera not knowing what I'd get. My little point-n-shoot is a really amazing technological marvel, even though it's a few years old. Like all cameras it has its limitations like taking pictures at night, but I thought I had nothing to lose. I would have loved to get a clearer picture of the moon, but that's okay. I like the end results.

The huge moon rose over my mountain. It's not my mountain, you understand, but I feel a sense of ownership like a person does toward their hometown, or their favorite sports team. It's their team, and very, very few people can say they actually own a team (unless you live in Green Bay, Wisconsin...). 

The moon watched over my home, my childhood home, and others carved into the mountainside as well as other homes in the valley. And as we slept it silently crossed the black sky. I woke up around 3 a.m. and saw the light from the moon flood into our bedroom. Maybe it was because I was sleepy, but I thought to myself it was the brightest moon I'd ever seen. Maybe those in the media knew what they were talking about after all...








No comments:

Post a Comment