Friday, May 11, 2012

Romeo, Juliet, And The Taylors...


I began my blog a year ago January. Since that time I directed a Shakespeare play, served as an assistant director for another Shakespeare play, and watched all of my children perform Shakespeare plays on stage. Tonight I saw something I had not seen before...a Tragedy (I'm talking about the genre, not the performance...).


My wife and I watched our three oldest kids participate in Romeo & Juliet. In the history of our school co-op, this was the first non-comedy Shakespeare play done. The kids did a wonderful job.


The characters our children played were not the best of people. They were basically jerks. One dies, one forces his daughter to marry against her will, and the other is one of the main reason Juliet's plan doesn't work and she dies. In my experience on stage, I find it easier to play the despicable people than the good ones... Maybe that's why our kids did so well... ;).


They have two shows tomorrow (if you'd like to go, let me know and I'll pass along the details of where and when and how much...). It's been a long--very long couple of months, but to see how the kids smile when they take their bows, it makes it all worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment