Monday, June 16, 2014

Block Party...


About two dozen neighbors gathered tonight to eat, chat, and get to know each other better. And I'd say we accomplished all three. Tonight was one of those events where you come away thinking, "We should do this more often."

So why don't we?

That's a great question. We're connected by location. When it snows or rains, we're all affected. We shop at the same stores, for the most part. Many of us attend the same church meetings. We all have to endure the same broken traffic light sensors at the intersection of State and Main. And when the power goes out at our house, there's a good chance it is out at their homes as well.

Of course, we're all different people. The dynamics between families can vary as as much as possible--it can even vary between family members themselves. I asked myself as I filled my plate with delicious food and walked among my neighbors that if my family needed something, I could count on these people to help us out. Likewise, I feel we would do the same for them.

A million things had to happen for us to be standing in my neighbor's driveway introducing our families to each other. One lost job, or one missed phone call, or one unsaid suggestion and an entire family might not be there, replaced by someone else.

That didn't happen so I believe there's a reason we all live within shouting distance of each other. As who what those reasons are, exactly, I have no idea, except to say, I'm glad it happened. You know, we really should do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment